Canadian Study Permit 

According to Statistics Canada every year more than 100,000 students come to Canada on Study Permits. Canada has highly reputable and one of the best education systems in the world. Canadian Colleges and Universities are among the top-rated Institutes of the world offering a wide range of subject areas at a moderate fee structure as compared to the USA, Australia & the United Kingdom. Canada has a truly cosmopolitan culture and is called the land of immigrants, a student studying in Canada has more chances to observe a multicultural, multiethnic environment as compared to the rest of the world. 

Why Study in Canada

Canada is an excellent choice for international students. There are a number of universities offering a variety of programs following a great education system. The cost of education is comparatively less to the United States. Canada is home to The University of Toronto, McGill University, University of British Columbia, University de Montréal, and the University of Alberta all of which are among the best universities in the world.  Canada has been ranked as one of the most livable places among the top ten places to live in. With its diverse culture, most international students would experience a comfortable and accepting environment. In order to study in Canada, individuals would require a “study permit.” For studying in Canada students can either apply for a study permit through the regular Student Visa or apply for a study permit through Student Direct Stream (SDS). Usually, a study permit is to be applied before you enter Canada however in some cases you can apply for a study permit from within the country.

The Visa Canada has a team of experts and British Council Trained Educational Counselors, who will provide you professional career counseling in choosing the best course at the right institute. With our vast range of affiliated institutes, The Visa Canada’s team proudly claims to provide specialized study permit (visa) application services and also help you in getting Work Permits after completion of your studies. Upon completion of Education in Canada; it opens some other doors of opportunities for those who want to permanently integrate into Canadian Society as a permanent resident of Canada through various Permanent Residence programs. 

Study in Canada

Pursuing higher studies in Canada? It is a really big opportunity for foreign students to get a study permit in Canada. Every year 180,000 foreign students visit Canada for further studies and the numbers are increasing day by day. At this time, Canada is becoming a number 1 choice for foreign students to follow higher education due to numerous reasons such as Excellent Education System, Friendly Environment, Lower Tuition Fees, Safe place to live and Study, Multilingual Nation, Finest Healthcare Services, Lots of Tourist Charms, Sensational Campus & Way of Life, and Radical Levels in Technology and Research Fields.
Canada offers a world-class well-known education system at affordable rates. The Canadian degrees are well-known and are widely accepted as degrees from the US or any Commonwealth nation. Canadian institutes offer a wide range of courses to pursue your diploma, degree, graduation, post-graduation, and Ph.D. courses.
All these elements come together to make Canada, one of the prominent destinations to study, work, or live in. Though, the procedure to get a Study permit for Canada is extensive that is followed by rules and regulations at every corner. However, in this article, we have tried our best to describe all the requirements necessary for its permit.

Finding the right Institute, an important consideration for studying in Canada

First, you need to find a suitable Canadian Institute that hosts international students too. The institutes that welcome students from abroad are known as Designated Learning Institutions (DLI). If you are successful in getting admission to a Canadian Institute in your desired field, you may have a high chance of getting a study permit. The Visa Canada team can help you to find the right schools in Canada, reputable colleges in Canada, or Canadian universities which are right for your proposed subject area.

Getting a Study Permit

It might seem like some simple steps, whereas getting a study permit is a time-consuming procedure and a complex process, but it is worth waiting for if you obtain a Canadian student visa. The Visa Canada team can also help you to get a student visa, a work permit, or to get a permanent residence visa, once you complete your studies; an ultimate dream for those who want to permanently get settled in Canada. Here are the steps to start a student visa proceeding to study in Canada.
So, the very first step is to get accepted by one of the DLI's. Our career Counselling team trained by the British Council can help you to select the best course based on your credentials. Once you select a course now you can look for institutes that offer this course and host international students. The visa proceedings start as soon as you get your acceptance letter. A study permit application can be filed upon getting an offer letter or letter of acceptance from a designated learning institute. A study permit is a must for students who wish to study in Canada for 8 months or more duration of a course but not required for students that complete their courses within six (6) months. It is always advisable to apply for a study permit regardless of the length of the course.

Rules & Regulations for Study Permit

The Canadian government ensures certain rules and regulations to accept your application for the study permit. If your application to study permit has been rejected there may be the facts that you might have failed to provide satisfactory evidence to the visa officer.
  • The first and foremost requirement is proof of finances, which means that one is fully able to afford his/her own studies completely without recourse to public funds. Besides this, the evidence is required that you are also eligible to hold your expenses while you stay in Canada during your studies.
  • Secondly, you are required to show a piece of evidence that you are eligible to take care of your family that is with you during your stay. The family here includes the spouse and children (if any).
  • Proof of acceptance from any DLI in Canada.
  • Proof of identity i.e. your passport, pictures. (Note: some evidence details might vary from country to country)
As mentioned earlier, the study permit is not required for short courses i.e. courses for 6 months or lesser. But after the completion of the course, you need to apply for a study permit, if you wish to stay in Canada and continue to study. You need not apply for a separate work permit to work off-campus, along with your study permit application, as you may be allowed to work part-time i.e. 20 hours per week during your course of studies in Canada. You may not be allowed to work off-campus if you are primarily coming to study English or French language but may be allowed to work on campus provided if a student is in the tenure of a study permit. Sometimes institutes offer part-time jobs to their students too which don't require a work permit.

Financial proof for Study Permit

You must be able to prove that you can take care of yourself and your family (spouse and children, if any) who are accompanying you during your stay in Canada. By showing some of the following documents you will be able to prove to the visa officer that; you hold enough assets that can support you while you stay in Canada. 
  • Bank statements of the last 4-6 months
  • A letter of evidence from any institution or person offering you money
  • Evidence if you have funded scholarship within Canada or a funded Canadian program
  • Evidence of educational loan from an institution
  • Evidence of payment of tuition and accommodation fees
  • Evidence of a Canadian bank account in your name if money has been transferred to Canada
Our trained staff can help you with answers to your questions about bank statements and all acceptable proofs of funds.

Apply for Study Permit from Within Canada

To be able to apply for a study permit Canada from within Canada the following conditions must be fulfilled:

  1. You must be a minor child in primary or secondary school.
  2. You must be an exchange/visiting student.
  3. You are a spouse/common-law partner who is being sponsored 
  4. You have a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) valid for at least 6 months.
  5. You have a study permit from a visa office abroad prior to your entry to Canada.
  6. You are a family member of either the following: 
  • Media representatives
  • Athletes on a Canadian based team
  • Military personnel assigned to Canada
  • Members of clergy
  • Foreign representative

Study Visa from Outside of Canada

In order to obtain a study permit from outside of Canada, individuals have two choices either apply online or file a paper application through the Visa Application Centre (VAC). kindly keep in mind that neither student direct stream (SDS) be applied from within Canada and nor it can be applied as the paper application, it must be applied from outside of Canada and online only. In order to apply online, either for a regular student visa or through SDS, one must upload all transcripts and educational degrees online and be able to make an online payment by a valid credit card. 

Before applying for a study permit you must have an offer letter from a designated learning institute (DLI). You require a valid passport and travel documents. You must also show proof of finances for your study which includes tuition fees and living expenses. You must have a clean criminal record and show a police certificate. You must also be in good health and free from serious health issues. In order to secure a visa, one must be able to convince the immigration officer that he/she will leave Canada upon completion of one’s studies.  

After choosing a proposed subject area that you want to study it is important to look into the schools that are offering what you’re looking for. It is important to know deadlines, eligibility for a program, and what type of degree you are looking for. Be sure to dig in to find out as much as information you can regarding the institute, you’re interested in. Lastly, you must know the location of the institution as Canada has many urban and suburban localities. You must choose whatever you are most comfortable in. 

Some of the best universities in Canada include:

  1. University of Toronto - Toronto, Ontario
  2. McGill University - Montréal, Québec
  3. University of British Columbia- Vancouver, British Columbia
  4. University of Alberta- Edmonton, Alberta
  5. University of Montréal - Montréal, Québec
  6. McMaster University- Hamilton, Ontario
  7. University of Waterloo - Waterloo, Ontario
  8. Western University - London, Ontario
  9. University of Calgary - Calgary, Alberta
  10. Queen’s University - Kingston, Ontario
  11. Simon Fraser University - Burnaby, British Columbia
  12. Dalhousie University - Halifax, Nova Scotia
  13. University of Ottawa - Ottawa, Ontario
  14. University of Victoria - Victoria, British Columbia
  15. Concordia University - Montréal, Québec

Some of the best colleges in Canada include:

  1. Sheridan College, Ontario
  2. Algonquin College, Ottawa, Ontario
  3. Bow Valley College, Calgary, Alberta
  4. Fleming College, Peterborough, Ontario
  5. George Brown College, Toronto, Ontario
  6. Georgian College, North Bay, Ontario
  7. Humber College, Toronto, Ontario
  8. Camosun College, Victoria, British Columbia
  9. Centennial College, Toronto, Ontario
  10. College of New Caledonia, Prince George, British Columbia
  11. Conestoga College, Kitchener, Ontario
  12. Confederation College of Applied Arts & Technology, Thunder Bay, Ontario
  13. Columbia College, Vancouver, British Columbia
  14. Douglas College, Vancouver, British Columbia
  15. Durham College, Oshawa, Ontario

Cost of Studies in Canada

If you plan on studying in Canada approximately C$20,000 to C$30,000 would be enough to cover tuition and living expenses annually. Accommodation is an important consideration once you have decided where you will study. Many universities offer on-campus accommodation. They can be dorms, townhouses, apartments, etc. usually very close to the campus. This will save transportation costs and be an opportunity for international students to mix in and make new friends. The average cost for living on campus residences can vary from C$3,000 to C$7,000 annually. 

Another option is to consider off-campus accommodation.  There are a number of rental units available according to one’s budget. However, usually, It is very difficult for the student to afford an apartment alone so he/she may choose to share an apartment. Most apartments are unfurnished. Prices can vary from C$500 to C$1500 per month according to location.

Transportation costs will depend upon how close you are to your campus. If your campus is close you can walk or use a bike. In larger cities, you can use public transport which can be anything from a bus to subways to ferries. Monthly passes for ferries range from $80 to $110. International students in Canada must have health insurance. Medical coverage depends upon which province you will reside in and the length of your stay.

Many international students can take up a part-time job during their studies. They can work in retail, restaurants, grocery stores, etc. A minimum wage varies from province to province ranging from $10.96 to 14.50 per hour. Students interested to pursue an academic career can assist lectures or opt for teaching/research assistant fellowships.

Study permit extension 

In most cases, if international students in Canada are studying full time and have completed their courses may get their study permit extension, if they wish to enroll in any further course. They must meet the conditions of the proposed course and institutions. It is important to note if one wishes to extend a study permit in Canada, he/she needs to apply at least 30 days prior to expiring his/her current status. 

Co-op Work permits

Some study programs require students to do an internship. This is known as a co-op student or intern and requires the student to apply for a work permit along with his/her study permit. In order to be eligible for a co-op work permit the following are mandatory:

  • You must have a study permit.
  • An internship/work experience is a part of your credit hours.
  • You have a letter from the institution confirming the need for an internship.
  • The co-op must be 50% (percent) or less of the total study program.
  • The co-op must take place in the academic year.

However, students cannot apply for the co-op permit if:

  • If someone is studying English/French (ESL/FSL) as a second language.
  • If they are studying general interest courses or preparing for another study program.

In these cases, a valid work permit would be required to work.

 In order to apply for a co-op work permit, you must have an acceptance letter confirming the need for an internship to complete the program. 

On-Campus Employment

Many students have the opportunity to work on campus. These types of jobs do not require work permits; however, they have poor wages. Even English language students (ELS) can do such jobs. In order to be eligible for on-campus employment the following is necessary;

  • You are enrolled as a full-time student.
  • You have a valid study permit.
  • The employment must be within campus premises.

Off-Campus Employment

Students are also eligible to work off-campus as a volunteer for university-related jobs. In order to be eligible for off-campus employment the following is necessary:

  • You must be enrolled as a full-time student.
  • You must have a valid study permit.
  • You must be an academic student and NOT an English as a Second Language (ESL) student.

Students are eligible to work up to 20 hours a week during semesters and 40 hours per week during breaks.

Employment after Graduation (Postgraduate Work Permit)

Canada is an excellent choice for working once you have finished your studies. There are many options for students who are successful in achieving a Canadian degree. Some options may be:

  • Peruse a higher degree such as a postgraduate degree or a Ph.D.
  • Start working on your specialization.

After settled employment, many individuals will have the opportunity to become permanent residents of Canada.

If in case you have achieved a Canadian diploma you have the option to apply for work experience through various postgraduate work programs that will obtain you a work permit allowing you to work as long as your studies commenced. In order to be eligible for such a grant, the following are mandatory:

  • You must be a full-time student.
  • You must have a diploma from a private institute authorized by the government or a public tertiary education institute.

Minimum 8 months of full-time studies required to be eligible for 8 months postgraduate work permit. The validity of a postgraduate work permit is normally proportional to the length of the program, a student who studied one-year post-secondary studies may qualify for a one-year postgraduate work permit. 02 (Two) year studies may be able to get you 03 (three) years’ work permit. 

Work Permit for spouses and Application procedure

Foreign candidates having a valid study permit can bring their spouse or common-law partner on an open work permit. This will enable the spouse to work full time until the period of study permit of the principal applicant. Candidates who want to avail of this opportunity must be in full-time studies at: 
  • A public post-secondary institution; or
  • A private post-secondary institution that runs under the same rules and regulations as a public institution and obtains half of its overall set-ups budget from government grants; or
  • A private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees.
This open work permit allows its holder to work for any employer in Canada and does not require a job offer, or a Labour Market Impact Assessment. Bear in mind, this open work permit may exclude certain occupations (such as jobs in schools or hospitals) unless the applicant is a non-medical examination required country.
If you have decided to bring your family to Canada while you study in Canada, and your dependents intend to arrive at the same time, you must consider filling out one application for the whole family. If you have a variety of different permit applications (your study permit and your spouse or common-law partner’s work permit, for example) you will need extra documentation and will need to include additional fees (such as the additional fee for the work permit).

Children Permit

A dependent child accompanying his/her parents who are coming on a study/work permit does not require a study or a work permit. They can study at pre-schools, primary and secondary levels without having a study permit. The Child may have a visitor record.

Get Career Counseling for choosing the right institute for studying in Canada

Feel baffled about choosing the right course or institute? Get help from us now!
The Visa Canada team is professionally trained by the British Council. The trained and professional counselors will help you to pursue your dreams by assisting you in choosing the right course at the right institute. We have several affiliated institutes that offer almost every course of interest.

Get Work Permit

The Visa Canada team offers a specialized visa assistance service that can help you to get a work permit after your study is completed. You might be able to get a Permanent Residence (PR) here in Canada once you complete your studies and fulfill other requirements. We can make your dream of work and study in Canada, come true.

Do you want to learn more about study in Canada and/or about the study permit of Canada; The Visa Canada team can help you in choosing the right educational institute for you. 

If you would like to know more, you may call +1 647 294 6631 or email or message us using the contact form below.