What is Super Visa?

Super Visa is a special kind of temporary resident visa (TRV) for parents and grandparents of a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident. Parents and Grandparents can obtain a super visa allowing them to stay in Canada for up to two years per visit. Super Visa and is normally valid for 10 years or sometimes visa officer issues lesser duration visa due to early expiry of the passport. In order to apply for a super visa, the following are mandatory:

  1. You must be a parent/grandparent of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
  2. You must be a real visitor clearly stating your purpose of visit and alleging to leave at the end of your stay.
  3. You must provide proof that your child/grandchild has the financial power to sponsor your visit.
  4. Written proof of your child/grandchild will have to be provided.
  5. You must also provide proof of your own financial capability.
  6. You must have valid Canadian medical coverage for at least a year.
  7. You must take an immigration medical exam.
  8. You must have a criminal-free record.
  9. Other dependent applicants cannot be included in this application.

How to apply for Parent & Grandparent Super visa

There are two ways to apply for a Parent and Grandparent Super Visa:

  • Apply Online
  • Apply on Paper

If you apply on paper you must send in all required documents attached to your application. Other important requisites are as follow:

  1. Documents proving that you are the parent/grandparent of the person you are visiting. These documents can be anything from birth certificates to baptismal certificates.
  2. A letter of invitation from the person you are intending to visit. This should clearly state that he/she will be able to take care of you. The letter should also include important addresses and phone numbers.
  3. Documents proving that your child/grandchild meets the low-income cut-off LICO.
  4. Documents proving that your child/grandchild has private medical insurance.

Letter of Invitation for Super Visa

The letter of invitation is a formal letter inviting your parent/grandparent to Canada. The letter should clearly state then the intent of invitation and promises regarding taking care of your parent/grandparent. This letter is to be sent to the person you are inviting who will forward the letter to the Canadian embassy in their country. The letter must have the following imperative information:

  1. Complete/given name of the person inviting, and the person being invited.
  2. Date of birth of both parties.
  3. Their Complete address and all-important phone numbers of both parties.
  4. The purpose and duration of the trip.
  5. Your relationship to the person being invited.
  6. Photocopies of documents proving that the person inviting is a legit Canadian citizen/permanent resident.
  7. Job title of the person inviting.
  8. Details of the family residing in Canada that will be inviting.
  9. Details of how the parent/grandparent will be living.
  10. Details of how they will pay for things during their stay.

Visa Exempt Countries & Super Visa

In order to travel to Canada, individuals require a visa or an eTA Electronic Travel Authorization. Some individuals only require a valid passport. Individuals holding passports of the following countries fall in the visa-exempt category and may travel to Canada without a visa:

  1. All European Union Countries
  2. Andorra
  3. Australia
  4. Bahamas
  5. Barbados
  6. Brunei
  7. Chile
  8. Hong Kong
  9. Iceland
  10. Israel
  11. Japan
  12. Liechtenstein
  13. Mexico
  14. Monaco
  15. New Zealand
  16. Norway
  17. Papua New Guinea
  18. Samoa
  19. Singapore
  20. Solomon Islands
  21. South Korea
  22. Switzerland
  23. Taiwan
  24. United Arab Emirates (from June 5, 2018)
  25. United States of America

Individuals holding passports of the aforementioned countries will be issued a stay of 6 months in order to extend their stay they must apply 30 days before the expiry of their entry stamps on their passports. If the aforementioned countries' residents want to apply for the super visa, they must apply through the visa office or online. 

Want to apply Super Visa application for your parents and grandparents and are still confused about the process, The Visa Canada team can help you. Our immigration experts have years of experience in dealing with such applications and can assist you to prepare the error-free, super visa applications of your loved ones. 


If you would like to know more, you may call +1 647 294 6631 or email info@TheVisaCanada.ca or message us using the contact form below.