Permanent Residence of Canada

Citizens of other countries have the opportunity to become permanent residents of Canada through a number of programs. Applying for permanent resident status will not change the citizenship of applicants instead will provide immigration to Canada as permanent residents. All possible immigration programs are listed below to see which one fits you and start your process today!

Immigrate through Express entry:

The Canadian government formally introduced the Express Entry program in 2015. It is an electronic process designed to choose immigrants based on their skills leading to a potential permanent settlement in Canada. Note that Express Entry is only a file management system and not an immigration program. It consists of a number of immigration programs that you may be eligible for. Some of the programs, along with their description that you can choose from are as follow:

1. Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP):

If you have work experience and skills under the Canadian National occupation classification (NOC) level 0, A, or B; you may be eligible to apply under the Federal skill Worker Program. Your application will be assessed according to your work experience, skills, and ability to economically establish yourself in Canada. Some of the credentials through which you can get points for the FSWP route are age, experience, language ability, education, having a valid job offer in Canada, and adaptability. In addition to the above selection factors, one must have sufficient financial proof in order to maintain his/her living in Canada without recourse to public funds. One is required to achieve at least 67 points in the FSWP in order to qualify for express entry. 

2. Federal Skilled Trade Program (FSTP):

The Federal Skilled Trade program was established by the Canadian government to lessen the shortage of skilled labor in 2013. If you have skill trades this program is for you. You must have at least two years of experience in the skill trades you aim to apply in and meet the minimum job requirements set up by the National Occupation Classification (NOC). You must also have a valid job offer and sufficient language skills. You may also fall under the category of skill Type B which requires a college diploma or apprenticeship training. Some of the categories you can look into are Agricultural and production, bakers, chefs, construction, industrial, maintenance, manufacturing, processing, and transportation.

3. Canadian Experience Class (CEC):

The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) Program is for foreign nationals who have Canadian work experience. In order to apply under this program, you must have one year of work experience in Canada within the last three years prior to your application. You must have experience under any of the following categories (a) Managerial jobs NOC skill level 0 (b) Professional jobs NOC skill type A (c) Technical jobs and skilled trades NOC skill type B. Work experience which was gained through self-employment or during a full-time study program does not count. There are no educational requirements for the Canadian Experience class however you must have sufficient language skills.

4. Provincial Nominee Program (PNP):

Under this Provincial Nominee Program (PNP), you can be nominated by provinces and territories of Canada for permanent residence. In order to be eligible, you must have the skills, education, or work experience, which can contribute to the Canadian economy. Each territory/province has its own criteria for nomination.  You can be nominated under (a) non-Express Entry stream OR (b) Express Entry stream. To apply for the PNP you have to apply to a province/territory, be selected by a province/territory, and then apply to IRCC for permanent residence.

Business Immigration:

If you have the financial capability to invest and start a business in Canada, then the doors are open! To apply for business immigration, you can apply under the following categories:

1. Start-Up Visa:

The Start-Up visa is for entrepreneurs who have a unique business plan and investment to start a business in Canada which will strengthen the economy and create jobs. Applicants under this category must have at least 2 years of business experience and require getting backup for their business or business plan, from designated organizations in Canada.

2. Self Employed:

If you are self-employed and contribute to the cultural, athletic, or agricultural sectors of the Canadian economy then this program is for you.  You must have at least 2 years of experience in certain categories to be eligible for this immigration program.

Immigration through Family Class:

If you have an immediate family who is a Canadian Citizen or a permanent resident you have the chance to move permanently to Canada under the family class sponsorship programs. All eligible sponsors can sponsor their spouse, common-law partners, parents, siblings, children, and close relatives to Canada. To be a sponsor you must be at least 18 years of age and take no social assistance. You must be able to support your family financially before sponsoring them in Canada.

Immigrate as a Protected person or Refugee:

If you are in fear of persecution, danger, or at risk of cruel treatment and punishment in your home country you can immigrate to Canada as a protected person or refugee. The Department of Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB) will assess your application based on certain factors and decide whether you are a protected person or a convention refugee. After your assessment has been approved as a “protected person” you may apply for permanent residency. You will NOT be eligible if:

1. You are not a convention refugee (a convention refugee is someone who is outside their country of origin or normally residency and who cannot return to their country due to fear of persecution or face life threats).

2. If you are a citizen or permanent resident of a country where you face no threat of persecution.

Humanitarian and Compassionate Cases (H&C) Immigration:

If you are inadmissible to Canada for any reason you still have the chance to apply for immigration on humanitarian and compassionate grounds. Your humanitarian & compassionate (H&C) application will be assessed according to a number of factors such as:

1. Having family ties with Canadian citizens or permanent residents.

2. Being employed in Canada without a legal work permit.

3. Having done volunteer work in Canada.

4. Completed study in Canada without a legal study permit.

5. Owning property in Canada.

6. Having social ties with Canadian communities.

Other factors may include your capability to have established yourself in Canada and the difficulty you may face moving back to your home country. The chance of your application being approved depends upon how compelling it is.

Immigrate through the Caregiver program:

This program is for individuals who have experience in “caregiving.” If you are an experienced caregiver you can apply for immigration out of the following categories:

1. Caring for Children Program:

You are eligible for this type of program if you have provided at least 2 years of full-time care to a child in Canada.

2. Caring for People with Medical Needs Program:

You are eligible for this program if you have been working as a licensed nurse or home support worker for at least 2 years.

3. Live-in Caregiver Program:

You are eligible for this program if you have 2 years of experience in a Live-in caregiver program in Canada.

Immigrate through the Agri-Food Pilot Program:

On May 15, 2020, the Minister of Immigration introduced a new Agri-Food Pilot Program to cater to the needs of Canadian employers due to labour shortage in the following selected industries:
•    Meat Product Manufacturing Industry
•    Greenhouse, Nursery, Floriculture including Mushroom Production Industry
•    Animal Production i.e. Livestock raising excluding Fish and Seafood Processing, or Profession related to Aquaculture
The Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) attracts thousands of individuals to Canada each year and IRCC is even focusing on supporting Canadian employers particularly during this Pandemic situation. Canadian employers who are suffering due to labour shortage now have a new pilot program i.e. Agri-Food Pilot Program to hire foreign workers who are already in Canada or support their PR application in this new pilot program. 
There is always a labour shortage in the farming and food processing industry and to cater to the needs of Canadian employers in the farming and food processing industry is the prime objective of the Canadian government whilst introducing this new pilot program. 
This new Agri-Food Pilot will ensure the availability of a trained workforce for Canadian employers and thus support the Canadian economy.
This test pilot program will allow a total of 2750 applications per year as per the above breakdown, to cater to the needs of Canadian employers in the agri-food sector. The Agri-Food Pilot will provide a new pathway to become a permanent resident for those individuals who have at least one year of experience within Canada working for Canadian employers in the same NOCs on a full-time basis. Initially, the government introduced this pilot program on a test basis and will run until May 2023.

If you would like to explore any of the above-mentioned permanent residence routes to Canada in detail, Team The Visa Canada can do the preliminary assessment free of charge and let you know about your eligibility based on your credentials.

If you would like to know more, you may call +1 647 294 6631 or email or message us using the contact form below.