What is Temporary Resident Permit (TRP)

Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) is a document that allows people to enter Canada who for some reason are inadmissible according to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. To be eligible for a temporary resident permits TRP an individual who wants to enter or stay in Canada must have a justified reason for entering Canada and should able to convince the Canadian Border Security Agency (CBSA) Officer at the border; if coming from the US and is a US citizen or a permanent resident. If the national of a visa-exempt country; should apply for a TRP if Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is denied due to any inadmissibility. In case a national of a visa required country; should club together; the TRP application with the main application i.e. Study Permit, Visitor Visa, Work Permit, or with Permanent Residence application. In either case, the applicant should be able to satisfy the visa officer that their entry to Canada at this point is crucial and they are in no way; threat to public safety and security, regardless of how small the offense was. 

TRP application procedure with a cost:

A TRP is applied at the consulate or (for US citizens and permanent residents only) directly at the Canadian border. To be issued a temporary resident permit a non-refundable processing fee of $200 (Canadian dollars) has to be paid. The application is submitted along with supporting documents. The permit is issued according to the length of stay in Canada, usually up to 3 years, and can be extended from inside of Canada.  After the expiry of the permit, a new one has to be issued. The permit is invalid once the individual leaves Canada unless specified to be allowed to re-enter after leaving. Note that the permit can be canceled at any time by the officer.

 Each country/region has its application procedure. Unlike US citizens or green card holders, nationals of other countries who require a temporary resident visa need to apply at their respective visa officers. If an individual falls in the eTA-required country category and is refused an eTA because of any inadmissibility reason, a TRP is required and may be issued depending upon the circumstances. Processing times vary according to when the application is submitted.

TRP Application at Border vs at Consulate

American citizens and Green Card holders may apply for TRP at the port of entry to Canada or a consulate. Both routes have their own merits or demerits. If there is a gap between their proposed date of travel to Canada they can apply through the consulate. Application processing time varies according to the nature and complexity of each application and as per the nature of the offense committed by the applicant. Remorse plays an important role in TRP applications as a visa officer or CBSA officer needed to be highly satisfied to issue a permit to the applicant. Application at the consulate has certain advantages as it may be applied well before the proposed time of traveling so you may have an outcome of your application before showing up to the border with uncertainty. It is also beneficial to avoid embarrassment in front of accompanying family members, friends, or colleagues who may be unaware of your offense; and in worst-case scenarios save your jobs if the offense is not disclosed to your employer. It is also possible you have the right to apply for Criminal Rehabilitation application instead of TRP if the sentencing against offense has been served more than 05 years ago or if more than 10 years has been passed since you served the sentence then you may be Deemed Rehabilitated, but in either case, if you are eligible for criminal rehabilitation application or deemed rehabilitated; you have to apply through the consulate.

If the US Citizen or green cardholder has to travel urgently to Canada and cannot wait to apply through the consulate, they can apply for TRP application at the border and is generally considered very quick and fast as compared to applying to the relevant consulate as it may take merely a few minutes. However, this depends upon the approval of the TRP application and the sole discretion of the CBSA officer. If the TRP application is denied; the applicant cannot enter Canada and thus left with the only option to apply through the consulate.

Supporting documents for TRP application:

Supporting documents may vary from application to application. There is a variety of documents one can attach to make the application stronger. However, there is a set of mandatory documents requisite. Firstly, and most importantly an original Police Clearance is required.  This document is a copy of the applicant’s criminal record. It is also referred to as a state clearance, police clearance certificate, or good conduct certificate. When applying for TRP a police clearance is required for every state/country the applicant has lived in for more than six months. Not necessarily consecutive six months. In cases where English or French is not the dominant language, the applicant may provide a police clearance in a different language along with an original copy of a translated certificate from a certified translator. Secondly, a clear copy of the applicant’s passport is mandatory.  Original FBI clearance is also required. This does not replace the police clearance. It is imperative to note that ONLY the original FBI clearance certificate will be accepted and NOT the copy. Other important documents include court documents in case of criminal convictions. Examples of documents the applicant could include are court records, documentation of judge’s comments, probation or parole reports, a certificate of rehabilitation, and/or letters of recommendation from authorized individuals. Concerning the court documents, you will also need to provide a copy of the laws (foreign or Canadian) under which the applicant was charged/convicted. Lastly, evidence of payment of government fees is also required.

We can help you in filing your TRP application

Regardless you have an urgent need to travel to Canada for a meeting, business, personal, or leisure trip or want to come to Canada after some time, we can help you to apply for a TRP. Don't be hesitant if you have past convictions and criminal records and are hesitant and unsure what will happen to you? Will your past conviction hinder your personal or business plans to Canada or not? Let us help you, we have worked with several cases and help them file complete applications successfully. 

If you would like to know more, you may call +1 647 294 6631 or email info@TheVisaCanada.ca or message us using the contact form below.