Why Study in Canada

Canada is an excellent choice for international students. There are a number of universities offering a variety of programs following a great education system. The cost of education is comparatively less to the United States. Canada is home to The University of Toronto, McGill University, University of British Columbia, University de Montréal, and the University of Alberta all of which are among the best universities in the world.  Canada has been ranked as one of the most livable places among the top ten places to live in. With its diverse culture, most international students would experience a comfortable and accepting environment. In order to study in Canada, individuals would require a “study permit.” Usually, a study permit is to be applied before you enter Canada however in some cases you can apply for a study permit from within the country. To be able to apply for a study permit Canada within the country the following conditions can be applied:

  1. You must be a minor child in primary or secondary school.
  2. You must be an exchange/visiting student.
  3. You are a spouse/common-law partner who is being sponsored 
  4. You have a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) valid for at least 6 months.
  5. You have a study permit from a visa office abroad prior to your entry to Canada.
  6. You are a family member of either the following: 

  • Media representatives
  • Athletes on a Canadian based team
  • Military personnel assigned to Canada
  • Members of clergy
  • Foreign representative

In order to obtain a study permit from outside of Canada, individuals have two choices either apply online or file a paper application through the Visa Application Centre (VAC). In order to apply online, one must upload all transcripts and educational degrees online and be able to make an online payment by a valid credit card. 

Before applying for a study permit you must have an offer letter from a designated learning institute (DLI). You require a valid passport and travel documents. You must also show proof of finances for your study which includes tuition fees and living expenses. You must have a clean criminal record and show a police certificate. You must also be in good health and free from serious health issues. In order to secure a visa, one must be able to convince the immigration officer that he/she will leave Canada upon completion of one’s studies.  

After choosing a proposed subject area that you want to study it is important to look into the schools that are offering what you’re looking for. It is important to know deadlines, eligibility for a program, and what type of degree you are looking for. Be sure to dig in to find out as much as information you can regarding the institute you’re interested in. Lastly, it is important that you know the location of the institution as Canada has many urban and suburban localities. You must choose whatever you are most comfortable in. 

Some of the best universities in Canada include:

  1. University of Toronto - Toronto, Ontario
  2. McGill University - Montréal, Québec
  3. University of British Columbia- Vancouver, British Columbia
  4. University of Alberta- Edmonton, Alberta
  5. University of Montréal - Montréal, Québec
  6. McMaster University- Hamilton, Ontario
  7. University of Waterloo - Waterloo, Ontario
  8. Western University - London, Ontario
  9. University of Calgary - Calgary, Alberta
  10. Queen’s University - Kingston, Ontario
  11. Simon Fraser University - Burnaby, British Columbia
  12. Dalhousie University -  Halifax, Nova Scotia
  13. University of Ottawa - Ottawa, Ontario
  14. University of Victoria - Victoria, British Columbia
  15. Concordia University - Montréal, Québec

Some of the best colleges in Canada include:

  1. Sheridan College, Ontario
  2. Algonquin College, Ottawa, Ontario
  3. Bow Valley College, Calgary, Alberta
  4. Fleming College, Peterborough, Ontario
  5. George Brown College, Toronto, Ontario
  6. Georgian College, North Bay, Ontario
  7. Humber College, Toronto, Ontario
  8. Camosun College, Victoria, British Columbia
  9. Centennial College, Toronto, Ontario
  10. College of New Caledonia, Prince George, British Columbia
  11. Conestoga College, Kitchener, Ontario
  12. Confederation College of Applied Arts & Technology, Thunder Bay, Ontario
  13. Columbia College, Vancouver, British Columbia
  14. Douglas College, Vancouver, British Columbia
  15. Durham College, Oshawa, Ontario

If you plan on studying in Canada approximately C$20,000 to C$30,000 would be enough to cover tuition and living expenses annually. Accommodation is an important consideration once you have decided where you will study. Many universities offer on-campus accommodation. They can be dorms, townhouses, apartments, etc. usually very close to the campus. This will save transportation costs and be an opportunity for international students to mix in and make new friends. The average cost for living on campus residences can vary from C$3,000 to C$7,000 annually. 

Another option is to consider off-campus accommodation.  There are a number of rental units available according to one’s budget. However, usually, it’s very difficult for the student to afford an apartment alone so he/she may choose to share an apartment. Most apartments are unfurnished. Prices can vary from C$500 to C$1500 per month according to location.

Transportation costs will depend upon how close you are to your campus. If your campus is close you can walk or use a bike. In larger cities, you can use public transport which can be anything from a bus to subways to ferries. Monthly passes for ferries range from $80 to $110. International students in Canada must have health insurance. Medical coverage depends upon which province you will reside and the length of your stay.

Many international students can take up a part-time job during their studies. They can work in retail, restaurants, grocery stores, etc. A minimum wage varies from province to province ranging from $10.96 to 14.50 per hour. Students interested to pursue an academic career can assist lectures or opt for teaching/research assistant fellowships. Study permit extension 

In most cases, if international students in Canada are studying full time and have completed their courses may get their study permit extension, if they wish to enroll in any further course. They have to meet the conditions of the proposed course and institutions. It is important to note if one wishes to extend study permit Canada he/she needs to apply at least 30 days prior expiring his/her current status. 

Co-op Work permits

Some study programs require students to do an internship. This is known as a co-op student or intern and requires the student to apply for a work permit along with his/her study permit. In order to be eligible for a co-op work permit the following are mandatory:

  • You must have a study permit.
  • An internship/work experience is a part of your credit hours.
  • You have a letter from the institution confirming the need for an internship.
  • The co-op must be 50% (percent) or less of the total study program.
  • The co-op must take place in the academic year.

However, students cannot apply for the co-op permit if:

  • If someone is studying English/French (ESL/FSL) as a second language.
  • If they are studying general interest courses or preparing for another study program.

In these cases, a valid work permit would be required to work.

 In order to apply for a co-op work permit, you must have an acceptance letter confirming the need for an internship to complete the program. 

On-Campus Employment

Many students have the opportunity to work on campus. These types of jobs don’t require work permits, however, they have poor wages. Even English language students (ELS) can do such jobs. In order to be eligible for on-campus employment the following is necessary;

  • You are enrolled as a full-time student.
  • You have a valid study permit.
  • The employment must be within campus premises.

Off-Campus Employment

Students are also eligible to work off-campus as a volunteer for university-related jobs. In order to be eligible for off-campus employment the following is necessary:

  • You must be enrolled as a full-time student.
  • You must have a valid study permit.
  • You must be an academic student and NOT English as a Second Language (ESL) student.

Students are eligible to work up to 20 hours a week during semesters and 40 hours per week during breaks.

Employment after Graduation (Postgraduate Work Permit)

Canada is an excellent choice for working once you have finished your studies. There are many options for students who are successful in achieving a Canadian degree. Some options may be:

  • Peruse a higher degree such as a postgraduate degree or a Ph.D.
  • Start working on your specialization.

After settled employment, many individuals will have the opportunity to become permanent residents of Canada.

If in case you have achieved a Canadian diploma you have the option to apply for work experience through various postgraduate work programs that will obtain you a work permit allowing you to work as long as your studies commenced. In order to be eligible for such a grant, the following are mandatory:

  • You must be a full-time student.
  • You must have a diploma from a private institute authorized by the government or a public tertiary education institute.

Minimum 8 months of full-time studies required to be eligible for 8 months postgraduate work permit. The validity of postgraduate work permit is normally proportional to the length of the program, a student who studied one-year post-secondary studies may qualify for a one-year postgraduate work permit. 02 (Two) year studies may able to get you 03 (three) years’ work permit. 

Do you want to learn more about study in Canada and/or about the study permit of Canada; The Visa Canada team can help you in choosing the right educational institute for you.