Canadian Visit Visa
A visitor visa for Canada is a temporary Canadian immigration option, also known as Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) which allows people from around the world to visit Canada for tourism and leisure purposes. It is of two types and is granted for a fixed period of a maximum of 6 months. The two types are:
- Single entry visa: allows entry one time. If the visitor leaves Canada after entering with a single-entry visa he/she will have to attain a new visa to re-enter Canada. The exception applies if he/she travels to the US, St Pierre or Miquelon.
- Multiple entry visas: allows entry multiple times for six months at a time. The multiple-entry visas will be valid for 10 years.
Eligibility for Visitor Visa or Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)
To be eligible for the visitor visa the following criteria must be met:
- The applicant must have a valid passport.
- The applicant must have sound health and not face any serious illness.
- The applicant has sufficient financial resources to cover his/her expenses during their stay in Canada.
- The applicant ensures that he/she will return to their home country as soon as their visa expires.
- The applicant does not intend to seek employment in Canada.
- The applicant is free of a criminal record and poses no threat to Canada
- The applicant is aware of the laws of Canada and promises to abide by them.
How to Apply for a Visitor Visa or Temporary Resident Visa (TRV):
To apply for the visitor visa it is important you first visit the CIC website which provides you complete information on your eligibility and the procedure. Once you have confirmed your eligibility you will have to follow the following steps:
Determine how you will apply
There are two ways to apply for a TRV. You may apply either apply online or on paper. To apply a TRV on paper you will have to download the application form and attach all requisite documentation. To apply for a TRV online you will have to attach all documents virtually.
Fill out the form
To fill out the form it is important to first read all the instructions given in the guide for visitor visa application. In case any step was missed it may result in rejection of the TRV application.
Pay processing fees
A processing fee for each applicant will have to be paid. The fee must be paid in Canadian dollars. In case you are applying on paper and pay at a VAC you will have to pay additional VAC service fees.
Single-entry fee: CAD 100
Multiple-entry fee: CAD 100
The visa may be extended 30 days prior to the expiry of your visa by paying a fee of CAD 100. In case your application is rejected the fee will not be returned.
Visit the Local Canada Visa Application Center
After you have completed your TRV application visit your nearest VAC along with complete documentation to finally submit your application. Documents will include photographs and supporting material.
Submit your application
Once you have submitted your application either a paper application or online TRV application, along with all required fees you will receive a tracking number that will help you to track your application online. You may be asked to give biometrics (fingerprints).
Track your application
After receiving the tracking number, you may track the progress of your application online using that number.
As per the new policy nationals from a specific country may enter Canada without a visitor visa and rather an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). The list of the countries that require an eTA and are exempt from visa, are as follow:
- British citizen
- British National (Overseas)
- British overseas citizen (re-admissible to the United Kingdom)
- British overseas territory citizen with citizenship through birth, descent, naturalization, or a registration in one of the British Overseas Territories of:
- The British Virgin Islands
- Cayman Islands
- Falkland Islands (Malvinas)
- Pitcairn Island
- Saint Helena
- Turks and Caicos Islands
- British Subject with a right of abode in the United Kingdom
- Brunei Darussalam
- Czech Republic
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China must have a passport issued by Hong Kong SAR.
- Israel; must have a national Israeli passport
- Republic of Korea
- New Zealand
- Papua New Guinea
- Romania (electronic passport holders only)
- San Marino
- Solomon Islands
- Taiwan: must have an ordinary passport issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Taiwan that includes the personal identification number
- United Arab Emirates
- The United States, lawful permanent resident of
- Vatican City State must have a passport or travel document issued by the Vatican.
Arriving in Canada
When you arrive in Canada your biometrics may be checked to ensure your identity matches. All children under 18 must have all the required documents with them as adults. Your visitor visa will only allow you to enter Canada if you are cleared by the border services.
Once you pass the identity check and meet all entry requirements the officer at the border services will stamp your passport allowing you to enter Canada. Your stay may be limited by the officer in some cases. You must be able to convince the officer of the purpose of your visit and your intentions to leave the country as soon as your visa expires.
Important Points to Consider whilst applying for Visitor Visa or Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)
While applying for the visitor visa the following points must be kept in mind:
- Fill your application with all accurate details and restrain from providing fraudulent information.
- Fill out your application well ahead of time of your planned visit.
- Make sure you have all the supporting documents with you. In case you are applying for your family make sure you have the required documents of all applicants.
- Do not misinterpret information on your application.
Call us today and get your application submitted right away!