Denied Entry to Canada

There are several ways to enter Canada. Denied Entry to Canada at BorderThe Canadian law requires citizenship or proof of identity to enter Canada. An individual who wants to visit Canada must enter at a valid time of entry. He/she must possess a valid passport. Be in good health and must not have any criminal offenses on record. Travelling to Canada can be done by land, water or by air as long as all requisites are met.

There are several reasons of denial of entry into Canada. Firstly, an individual may be denied entry into Canada because of lack of documentation of identification. This also applies to insufficient identification of minors (children under 18). Other reasons may include having criminal convictions. Entry may also be denied if an individual is travelling with prohibited items. Lastly, no permit can prohibit a person from entering Canada.

What is Temporary Resident Permit & Who Can Apply for TRP?

Any individuals who are denied entry to Canada due to security, medical or criminal reasons can enter Canada on a detour known as TRP or Temporary Resident Permit. The TRP allows an individual to enter Canada for a specified amount of time requiring a clear demonstration of their reason of entry. Any individual who has a criminal record is banned from entering Canada whether it be for work, study or merely visit. He/she is also banned from applying for Canadian permanent residence. Hence a TRP is a means of temporary entry to Canada and not permanent residence.

Requirments While Crossing the Canadian Border!

There are several requisites for crossing the Canadian border. Firstly the individual must have a valid driver's license. Secondly a valid vehicle with valid registration. American citizens do not require a passport but it is highly recommended. However a birth certificate, certificate of citizenship, certificate of Indian Status and photo ID is required. Crossing the border back to the US has stricter rules. Whether arriving by land or water the following documents are essential. A valid passport. A Canadian citizen must poses a valid passport through the intended duration of their stay in the US. Citizens of other countries must have a valid passport up to 6 months after intended date of departure. In case of an invalid passport a secondary inspection is mandatory. The United States Passport Card is required. Traveler Cards such as NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST State or Provincial Issued driver's license. Other options may include Enhanced Identification Card EDL/EIC Military ID with orders. The U.S. Lawful Permanent residents can use their permanent resident card or any other valid proof of their permanent residencies. Travelers entering through ferries or boats will suffice to the aforementioned requisites and must require a WHTI-compliant document.

All individuals crossing the border/entering Canada will be subject to screening by an Immigration officer. Entry into Canada depends upon how much an individual can convince an immigration officer on their intent of visit and assurance of return once duration of permit to stay expires. 

Denied Entry to Canada by CBSAThe Canada Border Service is handled by the CBSA or The Canada Border Service Agency. It is responsible for immigration, border enforcement ad customs. The agency removes any person illegally trying to enter Canada. All individuals are subject to screening and examination by CBSA officers. All items and goods entering Canada are also closely scrutinized by CBSA officers. They use detector dogs for their examination. The agency is also responsible for the three main sea ports, mail centers and detention facilities. The criminal investigation division is responsible for dealing with criminal records and offences. Border services also include an intelligence wing which is responsible for intelligence support to decision makers in the agency.

What is Criminal Rehabilitation and When Can One Apply for Criminal Rehabilitation?

A US citizen/resident may be denied entry into Canada because of having a criminal record. This is categorized as criminal inadmissibility. The only way for an individual having a criminal record to enter Canada is if he/she obtains permission from the Canadian government. Such an entry is granted by TRP through a process called Criminal Rehabilitation. A foreign national with TRP may be issued a single/multiple entry for short periods of times. This is only available to individuals who have finished their sentences and are given an opportunity to "rehabilitate"

What is meant by Deemed Rehabilitation and When Can One be Considered Deemed Rehabilitated?

Individuals with single felonies on record may be deemed rehabilitated ten years after they have completed their full sentence. However if an individual has more than one felony on record he/she may not be applicable for deemed rehabilitation and may not be admissible even after by passage of time. Unless, special circumstances only. If the offences involved property damage, weapon or violence inadmissibility to Canada may be permanent. Thus under special circumstances an individual may be pardoned and allowed entry/residency into Canada.

Some of Criminal Offenses which can result Denial Entry to Canada!

Some of the crimes preventing individuals from entering into Canada include, animal cruelty, break and enter, bribery, burglary, child abuse, credit card fraud, criminal contempt of court, cyber bullying, debit card fraud, domestic violence, drug possession, drug manufacturing and cultivation, drug distribution, drug trafficking, driving under the influence (DUI), driving while intoxicated (DWI), embezzlement, extortion, false imprisonment, forgery, fraud, harassment,  hit & run, homicide, identity theft, insurance fraud, kidnapping, money laundering, murder, prostitution, rape, robbery, selling alcohol to a minor, sexual assault, shoplifting, solicitation, tax fraud, theft, trespassing, voluntary manslaughter.

Team The Visa Canada can help you to facilitate your trip to Canada, whether you are refused at Canadian Border or afraid of possible entry denial due to past criminal conviction or criminal record. We are certified immigration law firm and our Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant has years of experience in dealing with complex immigration applications.